The Teachers@Work Program offers a unique professional development opportunity connecting the classroom to the workplace. Teachers are provided time to spend in a workplace for hands-on learning that transfers to student learning.
Through this program teachers engage with local businesses to learn skill requirements and career opportunities to enrich and strengthen their teaching and bring relevance to students’ learning.
Dates and Information Coming Soon For 2022!!
Application Opens: March 15th, 2022
Program Interest Meeting ECPS: March 11th, 2022 10:00am EST
Program Interest Meeting NCPS: March 17th, 2022 3:30pm EST
Application Deadline: April 15th, 2022
Program Run Date: August 1-5th, 2022
Presentation: November 18th, 2022 @ 7:30am
Agreements for a Successful Teachers@Work Experience
The following information is meant to serve as starting point to develop a clear understanding of expectations and/or roles and responsibilities for each party involved.
- Spend a total of 5 days in the workplace at a minimum Aug 1 – 5.
- Attend the Twin Counties Education and Business Leaders Summit TBA
- Attend the Orientation Session and complete Employer-Teacher Work Plan and Point of Contact for Hosting Employer.
- Complete informational interviews with the key people.
- Maintain a reflective journal/notes.
- Develop at least one Project-Based Learning lesson plan/unit based on the experience using the standards for your subject matter (CTE or State Content Standards).
- Develop a summary, Powerpoint presentation, or other professional development tool based on your experience that can be shared with colleagues.
- Develop a presentation based on your experience including students’ projects that will be shared at the STEP Board of Directors/Workforce Readiness Coalition meeting to be held on November 18, 2022, at 7:30 a. M.
- Complete an evaluation of the experience provided by STEP.
- Write a thank-you note to the externship host.
- Follow rules and regulations of your employer (the school district) and host.
- Be punctual and properly dressed.
- Notify STEP of any problems that arise out of the externship.
The host site agrees to develop a teacher externship that will:
- Provide a point of contact for the teacher
- Attend the Meet and Greet Luncheon and complete the Employer Teacher Extern Work Plan with along with the teacher extern
- Impart knowledge of career opportunities, organizational issues, hiring trends, and skills required for work in the industry by providing teachers the opportunity to conduct informational interviews, shadow employees, make observations, and collect appropriate materials
- Give the teacher the opportunity to make observations and perform tasks that will enhance understanding and skills in specific areas related to their teaching
- Report to the district and/or principal any problems or concerns that may arise during the Teachers@Work experience by calling the school administrator.
- Maintain an adequate and safe training station and tools, which meet state and federal health and safety rules and regulations.
- Inform the teacher-educator of all applicable rules, regulations, and safety precautions established by federal or state law, regulation, or by the employer-host.
- Pay $1000 stipend
- Complete an evaluation of the externship program (to be provided by STEP)
- Provide a point of contact for the teacher.
- Contact business/industry/community partners to set up the experience.
- Attend to any problems that affect or arise out of Teachers@Work.
- Provide an evaluation tool for feedback from participants (teachers and hosts)
STEP is pleased to offer educators in the Twin Counties the opportunity to participate in Teachers@Work, a professional development experience that integrates project-based learning, teacher leadership, and career awareness.
There will be a "Meet and Greet Luncheon" in June for the participants in the program.
Participants will complete a 5-day Learning Externship, August 1- August 5, 2022, as follows:
- Summer Day 1: Orientation and Immersion in local workplace
- Summer Day 2: Immersion in local workplace
- Summer Day 3: Immersion in local workplace
- Summer Day 4: Immersion in local workplace
- Summer Day 5: Unit/Lesson Planning Work Session at STEP Offices
During the 2022-23 School Year, participants are required to:
1. Participate in the 40-hour summer externship,
2. Development and implement a Project-Based Learning lesson/units,
3. Share their experience and lesson plan with co-workers at a faculty meeting, and
4. Present outcomes to the STEP Board of Directors and their hosting partners. (November 2022)
Summer Extern participants receive
$1000 stipend + 4 CEU Credits upon completion of the above requirements!
EACH PROSPECTIVE PARTICIPANTS MUST HAVE HIS/HER PRINCIPAL WRITE AND SUBMIT A LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION TO firstname.lastname@example.org BY THE APPLICATION DEADLINE OF APRIL 15,2022.
Complete all sections of this application; incomplete applications will not be considered.