Improve the educational opportunities of students in the
Twin Counties, cradle to career, by facilitating collaboration between our schools, community colleges, our community-based organizations and our employers.
Our Ultimate Goal
Build a Strong Local Talent Pipeline
Lunch with a Engineer, Healthcare Career Connections, Mini Career Cluster Showcases
Out of School
Broaden job shadowing, internship opportunities, and industry tours
Summer Institutes, Teachers @ Work-Twin Counties, industry tours, and seminars to educate and share best practices
Workforce Readiness Coalition
The Workforce Readiness Coalition is a group of educators representing Edgecombe County Public Schools, Edgecombe Community College, Nash Community College and Nash-Rocky Mount Public Schools, along with business/industry and community stakeholders. The Coalition seeks to strengthen the region's career and technical education pathways, career awareness programs and the workforce system to produce a work ready community.
We will promote and facilitate the successful collaboration of those involved in preparing a qualified workforce.
- Addressing the soft skills gap
- Increase work-based learning experiences
- Increase awareness of students and educators about local products, companies and careers in the Twin-Counties region
How You Can Help
Volunteer your time or services:
- Internships for students to gain experience, determine interests, network with professionals, or gain school credit.
- Short-term externships involving shadowing a professional during a normal day. Could include informational interviews, facility tours, participation in facility activities, etc.
- Serve as speaker for students during class. Topics will include current issues in industry.
- Provide lunch seminar with industry information/update
- Provide faculty continuing education opportunity to visit
- Serve on a program specific advisory board
- Provide scholarship opportunities to enrolled students
- Provide on-site interviews for students seeking careers
- Mock interviews for students to gain practice with experts
- Donation of equipment for training purposes
- Offer internship plus scholarship for tuition and/or books through Work Study Scholarship Program (WSSP)
Work-based learning (WBL) is an educational strategy for students and educators to put theory into practice with real-life work experiences. Work-based learning can vary from job shadowing & internships to simulations & mentoring. It allows students to explore various career paths.
Teachers @ Work-Twin Counties is a unique professional development opportunity for local educators to connect classroom to workplace. Educators complete a paid one week summer externship in local companies.
Student Internships & Apprenticeships
S.T.E.P. actively works to support and expand work-based opportunities for students in Edgecombe and Nash counties.
S.T.E.P. serves as a continuous improvement network for workforce development of the Twin Counties. By facilitating collaboration with public schools, community colleges and employer sectors, Career & Technical Education pathways are reevaluated annually. S.T.E.P.'s Workforce Readiness Coalition also provides industry representatives a platform to analyze and compare with preferred industry requirements.